Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Christmas Decorating

We came home from our Thanksgiving visit to California and started decorating for Christmas. That is usually early for me but I knew that it would take time to put everything where I wanted it. Being in a new house means everything, including Christmas decorations, get to find a new home.

  It was nice to be able to use the red hutch for decorating this year. Previously the hutch lived in my bedroom and there was no sense in decorating it there. So now it makes a nice place to put up our nativity set. And it's at eye level for the grandkids to see.

   We weren't sure where we wanted to put the tree. For this year it will sit here and as time goes on I'm getting used to it. I love putting up the tree. Each ornament has a story connected with it so it's a good reminder of past experiences. Some of the ornaments have a joyous remembrance and some of them are more melancholy. I continue to put them all up there because for me one of the things about Christmas is celebrating how God redeems things. Those ornaments that make me think of past sadness reminds me to leave the person or situation in God's hands and that brings a peace to me. And peace is one of the things this season is about.

   We have a tradition that we hide these little elves in the main room(s) of the house. There are 10 of them. I let the grandkids hide most of them while Grandpa is out of the room. They have so much fun watching Grandpa trying to find all 10 of them. And I get to hide 1 of them and they all have to find it. This tradition started when I was a little girl. In grade school we would have Christmas parties and every year there would be cupcakes and on the top of the cupcakes was a small Christmas decoration. Some years it was a snowman, a present, a Santa, etc. Well my mom saved them and my dad started hiding them in the main room of the house every Christmas. Every year it was a challenge trying to find all of them. Fast forward to when my kids were little and my dad bought me a set of these little elves to continue the tradition. So now we hide them with the grandkids.

   We've started a new tradition, Gingerbread Pancakes. They were so good. The recipe can be found at kitchentreaty.com  And yes, in the background is our Gingerbread house that I do with the grandkids every year. It's in "progress", put on hold due to the flu. So a post will be coming with that decorating adventure.

I hope your Christmas is full of peace and that you all have a grand new year.


No comments:

Post a Comment