Friday, August 2, 2019

Tea party and science day

I was looking to start an activity with my two grandkids that they would enjoy. Something that would be a special once a year happening. 

Last summer I started a science day with my grandson. He loves science. I go to the library, check out age appropriate science experiment books, he looks them over and chooses which experiments he wants to do. I get all the supplies together beforehand. We continued with science day this year, he still loves science. And this year one of the books was a magic science book, with experiments that would amaze the audience using science! Mr UAW, grandpa, was the audience and my grandson had a blast. With each experiment we stop and talk about why it works, what we are learning about the world around us. He loves this stuff. 

He made one egg sink and one egg float 
The jar put out the candle flame and in turn sucked up the water on the plate 
A balloon with pins in it!
          

He made a kaleidoscope 
Inside the kaleidoscope 
Who can resist cornstarch and water?
We made our own butter and buttermilk biscuits
                

Building with marshmallows and spaghetti 


This summer, my granddaughter was old enough to have a special day, something that she would appreciate. I remember having a special tea party with my daughters as they were growing up...so I chose a tea party. She loves to make things in the kitchen and loves to play with her dolls. And she loves my many flowers in the yard. Our goal was to make everything for our special tea (turned out to be juice), pick the flowers for it, use the special flowery tea cups, the special tea pot, dress up and to invite her dolls to join us. She helped me with all the preparations for the food

Our table all set and ready to have tea!
Tea with a special doll 
    

All dressed up 
Flowers that she chose from my yard 
    

Dolls and creatures from the fairy village have their own place setting 
And of course the special doll gets her own place setting 
Some of our foods, not a traditional tea but items that were of interest to her. 
     

Enjoying the "tea" and food 


These are activities that I think we can use for a few years. As the kids change their interests we can change up their special day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment