Friday, June 16, 2017

Keys...and paint

The renters are gone and we have full access to our house. Now that the house is empty, we can see that the whole inside needs to be painted. Originally we were just going to paint the bedrooms.
Thanks to my brother-in-law we had some ideas for paint colors. He is so good with colors and sent us paint chips. We wanted to get most of it painted before we filled it with furniture. This lead to a painting frenzy. Within 5 days the bedrooms, office, hall, living area - large room that encompasses a living, dining rooms and a kitchen - were all painted. The previous owners had purple and blue walls, with dark blue carpet, in the smaller rooms and green walls in the living area. With that color scheme I felt like is was living in an Easter egg. So we put Kilz, a great primer, on first then the paint color that we wanted. I will have to post some before and after Picts. The only thing left to paint is the bathrooms, doors and trims, kitchen cabinets, and the closets. It was enough painting to get the furniture in the house. We also had the carpet cleaned, it's a newer carpet so we will be living with it for a while.
We bought a new washer and dryer and had them delivered and installed by 2 wonderful guys. Only they couldn't install it, they tried but the hot water valve broke off spraying the nice installer with piping hot water. I didn't see all of this. The only thing I saw, as I was painting by a window, was 3 guys- installers and Mr. UAW-running all over the yard looking for the water shut off valve. I said to myself, "that doesn't look good, just keep painting, just keep painting...." Water was finally shut off, installer dried off, garage floor moped up, Mr. UAW made trip to Home Depot, valve replaced, washer installed and I just kept painting. Appparently the previous owners had a less than ideal hot water valve set up. It's a wonder that it didn't break years ago.
While we were painting, our POD was delivered with most of our belongings in it. Getting the roll up door open was interesting frustrating. Everything had shifted towards the door, so the rollup part of the rollup door was compromised. They, the driver and Mr. UAW, could only get it up 18 inches. At that point they could take a few things out of the bottom creating enough space for a tall thin person to squeeze in and figure something out. I was elected so I wiggled my way in. With just enough room to stand, I could figure out the problem. A mattress and a chair were pressing on the roll up portion of the door, hence the door was stuck. I could not push everything back, but could pound on the mattress enabling the door to raise up 2 inches at a time. Then we got enough door open to remove some more boxes so we could remove the other problem-the chair. Now the door could open. Phew, back to painting.
It's great to be here in our own house. There will always be obstacles to overcome, building confidence, patience and providing some good stories. More to come as I need to be off unpacking my POD....

No comments:

Post a Comment